3/23/09

Pink & Yellow Roses

Watercolor, 8 x 12 inches

During a recent cool spell, I played in the studio with a simple flower arrangement. Painting it twice [because I'm too impatient to let the washes dry properly to just paint one], I put the flowers away- actually they went in the trash- and then picked one study to rework and push further.  Frequently, with watercolor I've found that it is in pushing it further, beyond my comfort level, that the best 'stuff' happens. Of course, some get lost on the way, but that's part of the process.

 
The pink rose in the watercolor is "Souvenir de la Malmaison", a pink Bourbon antique rose with the loveliest scent. It requires no spraying or fussing. Truly, all I do is cut the flowers. This lovely plant produces blooms year round in New Orleans.

4 comments:

Diane Hoeptner said...

Lovely.

Joan DaGradi Studio said...

Hey Diane- Thank you!
Your paintings are beautiful. I love the picture of you surrounded by the larger floral paintings.
Thanks for writing.

Carolyn Finnell said...

I'm passing on the "Passion for Painting" award to you. Visit my blog for details.

Joan DaGradi Studio said...

Thanks, Carolyn!