12/4/07

Tagged!

I've been tagged by Don Gray. He's a fabulous artist with a tremendous sense of humor and good cheer; hope that you'll check out his beautiful work.
So the way this loosely works is that when you're tagged, you divulge 5 little known facts about yourself and then tag 5 other artists. It's a great way to introduce artists whose work you enjoy to a potentially wider audience, as well as have a bit of fun. 

OK, Numero Uno- As an art student, I held some pretty weird entry level, "no experience needed" type jobs. One of these memorable experiences included cutting the belly fins off of cod fish, with blunt scissors, during a bleak winter in Provincetown, MA, at the local Fish Factory. The Factory closed soon after, and fell apart, literally, when the ice holding the building together melted. Some people had worked there for 30 years. They were given the sharp scissors.

Two: Beautiful watercolors knock my socks off. I could happily look at Sargent, Homer and Hopper watercolors for years.

Three: I collect Japanese prints.

Four: Desiderio, St. Gaudens, and Rodin bas reliefs make me happy.

Five:  In the late 70's, I drove around this country on the tour bus with Archie Bell and the Drells, of "Tighten Up" fame. My husband was playing saxaphone with the band; we slept on the bus and drove all night many nights to the next gig, all over the South and West. Thankfully, the last gig was in Houston; we took a Greyhound to New Orleans, two suitcases in hand, and started our life here.

So after this brisk walk down memory lane, I would like to tag 5 artists whose work is always impressive. I hope that you'll check them out. They are Stephen Magsig, Marcia Molnar, Jens Ole Olsen, Deborah Paris and Qiang Huang.

10 comments:

Emm said...

Hmmm, I've never been tagged before but I will give it my best shot, Joan. I enjoyed seeing your new work this evening and the other artists you tagged. It's a great way to find new artists!

Stephen Magsig said...

Hi Joan,
I want to play tag but I can't figure out the coding or how you create links to the other artists. Can anybody help?

Don Gray said...

Hi Joan,

If nothing else, that early job left this legacy for you: No matter how bleak things may be, you can always say "At least it beats cutting the belly fins off cod fish with dull scissors."

Thanks for doing the tag thing!

Deborah Paris said...

Gee, thanks, Joan....:) Enjoyed your little known facts- I doubt I can be as entertaining but I'll give it my best shot.

Joan DaGradi Studio said...

Thanks, Marcia! Looking forward to your post and to the artist list that you choose. This is a fantastic way to see new work and I'm mucho grateful to Don Gray for tagging me to be a part of this.

Joan DaGradi Studio said...

Stephen, I hope the email tech suggestion helps.
I was stumped for days; suddenly, it was very easy!
Love your work; thanks for playing.

Joan DaGradi Studio said...

Don, anything beats cutting the belly fins off of cod fish with blunt scissors in a freezing environment!!!!

They had it set up so that 6 to 8 people stood around this huge vat with a conveyer belt. The fish came down a chute, and the workers were supposed to 'quickly' dispose of the belly fins. There were one or two pairs of reasonably sharp scissors given to, I guess, those who had earned some percs? Some people had worked there for 40 years; others of my generation generally lasted a few days or weeks, present company included.

Strange, but I felt privileged in some way to even see that side of life in Provincetown, an old Northeast Portuguese fishing village. The job and factory were a throwback to what conditions once were, maybe 75 or 100 years ago. I loved the Hawthorne paintings of Portuguese fisher folk; these were my neighbors and landlords in Ptown. Some of the older fishermen came by the factory to drop their catch and have a drink. The air was foggy and drippy, maybe from refrigeration and ammonia leaks.
These days, no doubt there's some factory like that in China.

Joan DaGradi Studio said...

Thanks, Deborah.
It's just fun to share....I hadn't thought about my long ago employment fiascos for years.
Much more fun to look back than to be there.
My son thought it would make a good screenplay, something like "Village of the Damned". Maybe not.

Thanks for playing. I always look forward to your posts!

kaycrain said...

Wow.....archie Bell and the Drells, huh? "We not only sing, but we dance as good as we walk!" ;)
Interesting facts, Joan!
Nice to 'meet' you. ;)

Joan DaGradi Studio said...

Thanks, Kay! :)
The band director's name was McNasty McKnight. I can still hear him announce the band "Here's ARRRRchie Bell & the Drells from HOOOUston Texas.