3/6/09

Leon's Balcony













Watercolor, 14 x 20 inches

Painted in the French Quarter, this watercolor always reminds me of how beautiful old New Orleans really is.  Truthfully, I get a thrill just watching a wash dry.

I haven't done a lot of pre-planning with my watercolors, usually just using the 'point and shoot' method. I set up on location, after driving around in a general area of the city and stopping when a shadow or a piece of architectural something catches my eye.
The success rate is sometimes slim with this approach, just slapping and sloshing the paint around. It can be great fun.

An intuitive response develops as to when to lay the next wash down or how to mix that wash, what colors to use, whether to wait for the previous wash to dry or not. When dealing with transparent and opaque colors, the possibilities increase exponentially.

My Watercolor Workshop Series is in full swing on Wednesday nights. 
I totally enjoy teaching.

5 comments:

PAT MEYER -- said...

Yes, I agree you captured the beauty of the Quarter. Watercolors are tough to do but you really have a gift with them.

Don Gray said...

Very beautiful, Joan. Great color and freedom in the washes.

Joan DaGradi Studio said...

Thanks, Pat!
I appreciate the encouragement.
This one was painted during the hottest part of the summer; I just remember squirting myself with a water bottle between every wash on the paper.

Joan DaGradi Studio said...

Don, thank you!
The more freedom, the better.
It's kinda like shooting at the moon.
Aim, fire, oh well- maybe next time....

Kay Wyne said...

Love this painting...Love New Orleans. I was at the French Quarter Festival this year...what a great time. I just finished my first New Orleans painting....my inspiration came from a parch/iron gate/beads as we were walking down Magazine Street. The art was fabulous that weekend. Have an artful day!!!!